NutterPhotog.com

Monday, April 20, 2009

Portrait of a Soldier

So during my stay in Washington with my cousin a week ago I took some portraits of him and his family. Heres the catch, I flew there and took minimal gear, excluding light stands. There was a small wooded area (like a mini forest) behind the house with a nice little lake in the middle, awesome spot. So what to do? Build a light stand with all of the tree branches laying around, like a teepee. I felt like Macgyver, and even used some rope I found on the ground. I made it one evening while checking out the location, and returned 2 more times for the shoots and it was where I left it. First time I stuck my cousin in the middle of the trees and setup my stick light stand about 6 feet from him to camera left with a full CTO gel over it.
Portrait of a Soldier
Portrait of a Soldier
The next night right before the sunset we went back to the same spot, this time with the rest of the family, including the dog. There was a rad looking tree with limbs covered in green moss that hung over the small lake, I set them up under that with my same stick light stand setup about 10-12 feet from them at camera left with a DIY grid and a full CTO gel.
My Cousin and family
My Cousin and family
After that we walked over to a small dock at just the right time to catch the deep blue sky in the background. The lighting for this one was just about the same as before.
My Cousin and family
I cannot thank my cousin enough for his hospitality while I was there. Not only did he put up with me for a week, I got to drive his awesome car around. Same for his wife and her great cooking that kept my belly full, which is a must. So these photos were my gift to them for the stay, Enjoy!

Stay tunes for more Seattle photos from the trip

No comments:

My photo
Austin, TX
Photographer, Computer Geek, Straight Edge, and Taco Lover. I Photograph live music and people, this blog is where I will showcase all of my recent work. Contact me if your interested in my services, or if you just wanna say "Yo!". Just about all of the photographs you see here are available as prints, click where it says "buy prints"

archive