NutterPhotog.com

Friday, May 15, 2009

Nikon 35mm ƒ/1.8 DX lens on D700 in FX


Here is where I break away from my usual posts about shows and write a little review of sort of the new Nikon Nikkor AF-S 35mm ƒ/1.8 DX lens in FX mode on a Nikon D700. I got it for my D90 right when it came out, not knowing I would be able to get the D700 so soon. Now I'll show you how this lens works on a FX (full frame) camera, which isn't what it was intended for. First off, I'm not really giving a full review of this lens, I'm only touching one thing on this lens and camera combination, and thats how much it vignettes. If you want to know other technical aspects of this lens, and how sharp it is which I assure you its sharp, then look somewhere else. Well, it really depends on the distance of the focus point and the aperture you have it set to for how much vignetting you will see. Instead of taking pictures of a blank white wall showing the massive amount of vignetting this lens can give off I have chosen to shoot my recently acquired 1979 Honda CB400 motorcycle in front of my house.
I did this at 3 distances, none which were measured but about 10ft, 5ft, and 1ft, no post processing was done on any of these pictures.

Here is the first batch with the camera sitting on a tripod about 10ft from the bike. At this distance you will see the most amount of vignetting.
(hover over the picture to see the f-stop, I shot each distance at 1.8, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, and 22)


This is about 5ft from the bike, not much different from 10ft just a little bit less.


Finally at its closest focus distance of around 1ft the vignetting is virtually non existent.


The conclusion for me is suable, to others maybe not. I personally enjoy the look of dark corners depending on the situation however when the 35mm ƒ/2 lens becomes available I will probably trade this one in for something more usable no matter what f-stop I'm at.

3 comments:

Janalarm said...

nice comparison, thx a lot!

i found this site via your flickr link.

Unknown said...

Thanx for your examples!!!

could you send me a RAW file of a 1.8 picture?
I would like to see how the 35mm handles the borderblur on a FX camera..

would be very kind of you

Khadijah Firdaus said...

i shoot with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX for my blogspot. visit & follow me. support BF if uols like too ;)
http://mybabyahmad.blogspot.com/

My photo
Austin, TX
Photographer, Computer Geek, Straight Edge, and Taco Lover. I Photograph live music and people, this blog is where I will showcase all of my recent work. Contact me if your interested in my services, or if you just wanna say "Yo!". Just about all of the photographs you see here are available as prints, click where it says "buy prints"

archive